CAREER SCOPE IN SOC
Introduction of SOC team
A Security Operations Center or SOC has now become quite a physical or virtual location that collects, analyzes, and acts upon the information. The key intent behind the SOC team would be to monitor and analyze the cybersecurity of an organization and mitigate cyber risks. The important thing role and responsibility of a SOC team is to guard the business enterprise against cyber-attacks and threats. So, building a SOC team is incredibly very important to any size of corporate.
The Security Operation Center (SOC) is frequently built in-house or outsourced to a managed security services provider (MSSP). Employing an in-house team for the prevention and detection of cyber threats with the necessary security capabilities is definitely an impossible goal to achieve, especially for small to medium-sized businesses or organizations. The fee, time, and effort alone are obstacles for the organizations while deciding to create a SOC team, with the target of getting greater control over their security. The outsourcing SOC team to an MSSP and managing cybersecurity may become a cost-effective solution in meeting an organization’s goals and objectives, without any additional efforts and hassle of making an in-house team.
Since SOC may be built both in-house or outsourced. So, it has some key roles that aid in monitoring the security tools and exploring suspicious activities.
Key roles of Security Operation Center (SOC)
- CISO – Chief Information Security Officer is answerable for outlining the strategies, goals, and objectives of an organization’s security operations. CISO works on risk management, compliance, policies, procedures, and strategies that can be related to security posture inside a company to fulfil security demands. In large organizations, they directly report to the CEO and have a direct link with the upper management.
- SOC Manager – They manage the entire security operations team, coordinate with security engineers and report right to CISO. These managers supervise the security team, provide technical guidance, and manage financial activities. SOC manager works with SOC Lead and formulates policies for the whole team and reviews incidents. They are also an important part of the auditing process. Managers create compliance reports, measure SOC performance metrics, and report on security operations for business leaders. In addition, they help the development teams set the extent of recent security development projects.
- Security Architect/Engineer – Security architects and engineers design and build a security infrastructure and network security for a corporation. They are accountable for the enterprise’s overall security architecture and ensure the architecture is an important part of the development cycle. They are also answerable for maintaining tools, recommending new tools, and updating systems. Security engineers perform vulnerability assessments and penetration tests to work through the regions of weakness in the security system. This role also contains security compliance, which involves documenting, and constantly updating security practices against industry and internal frameworks. Security engineers and architects develop tools and solutions that allow organizations to forestall attacks.
- Security Analyst – An analyst’s job is to detect threats, investigate those threats, and answer them in a reasonable fashion. These front-line analysts are fighting against cyber attacks and also analysing threats. Security analysts work alongside internal IT staff and business administrators to talk about details about security limitations. Additionally, analysts might have responsibilities that involve implementing security measures as read out by management. They could play a role in organizational disaster recovery plans.
- SOC Lead: The lead coordinates a reaction to threats by managing other team members effectively. They run the security operations centre on a day-to-day basis moreover hands-on. Independent of the above responsibilities, their responsibilities also touch on documenting processes and recording incidents.
Do you want to become SOC EXPERT or CYBER SECURITY EXPERT? YES: Join Real-Time “Security Operation Center Training“- SOC TRAINING IN INDIA & 20+ Countries
Basic responsibilities of SOC team
Implement and manage security Tools – To secure and monitor a method, there are many tools that have to be maintained and updated on an everyday basis. Without proper tools, it’s out of the question to effectively secure systems and networks. The responsibilities require team members to take care of tools that are used throughout all security processes. This includes the assortment of data. The data must touch all systems within the network, including cloud infrastructure. A single break within the information flow may cause serious implications.
Investigate Suspicious Activities – With security monitoring tools, the security operations centre team looks into suspicious activity within IT systems and networks. They do this by receiving and analyzing alerts from the SIEM. These alerts may contain signs of compromise and related threat intelligence. The team performs screening on the alerts, understands the extent of the threat, and responds. The organizations might not be able to entirely stop threats from entering their network, but they are able to stop threats from spreading. If your network system is compromised, the SOC should identify and stop them from affecting the remaining portion of the network.
Security Strategy – SOCs work as shared service centres that offer value to business stakeholders and help meet their goals. These centres are cross-functional organizations that centralize operations applied by different departments. Organizations should define the SOC’s operating model and governance to verify accountability and guide interactions, with individuals from IT, HR, legal, compliance, and other groups.
Building a good SOC team is essential for organizations of most sizes. The roles and complexity of the security operations centre are wildly essential to producing visibility throughout the board. It is also important a solid SOC is 24/7 and manages the workflow seamlessly and prudently. The policies and procedures that govern individuals should be an integral part of this team and must be a continuous process to best serve the team and organization as a whole. Defining the security operations centre’s roles and responsibilities helps companies to prioritize and better assess their need.
Must read the blog on Log4j Vulnerability – How to detect and fix it?
We do offer our trainings at your city also :
SOC Analyst Training in Bangalore , SOC Analyst Training in Bhopal , SOC Analyst Training in Bhubaneswar , SOC Analyst Training in Chandigarh , SOC Analyst Training in Chennai, SOC Analyst Training in Delhi